Housing Advice

The Mary Ward Legal Centre provides free, independent advice to people who live and work in London to help them access their legal rights and entitlements.

Housing Advice
We provide advice and representation on a range of housing issues including:

  • Homelessness reviews of negative decisions, appealing decisions in the county court and judicial review applications in the High Court
  • Defending possession proceedings and warrants for eviction private and public sector tenants, particularly where there are complex issues of fact or law giving rise to a defence
  • Disrepair

We do not advise or act for landlords.

If your housing case is funded under our Legal Aid contract you will be required to show that your income and capital are within the current financial limits set by the Legal Aid Agency. This is necessary for the Legal Centre to be paid for the work done on your behalf.

You will need to provide evidence of you and your partner’s income and capital and bring this to your first appointment. Before your appointment, please check what proof of income you will be required to bring. You will be asked to sign a Legal Help form which confirms to the Legal Aid Agency your personal details and finances, and that you are giving accurate information.

If you have signed a form for free legal help for the same advice matter at another organisation or solicitors firm you must mention this to the Legal Centre staff.

PLEASE NOTE: we do not advise landlords or home-owners. We can only assist people who are homeless or who live in rented or insecure accommodation. We can only take on certain types of cases due to specific funding and eligibility criteria, for example we may be able to offer advice if you qualify for legal aid or if you live, work or study in the borough of Camden.

Service access criteria: You must be eligible for Legal Help and provide proof of income at your first visit.
Connecting with others
Getting active
Healthy lifestyle
Day to day helping hand
Helping with money
Information and advice
Transport and getting around
Mental health
Support with housing
Support with employment
Support for carers
Managing a long-term health condition
Basic necessities (food/clothes)
Arts and creativity
Connecting with nature
Youth support
Social prescribing
Additional needs catered for:
Vision impairment friendly
Hearing impairment friendly
Wheelchair accessible
Learning difficulty friendly
Physical disability friendly
Dementia friendly
Takes place in the client’s home
Non English speaking friendly
Key words - separate with a comma: housing support